- My Services
- What is the value of your home?
- Pricing your house to sell
- The importance of Curb Appeal when trying to sell your house
- A checklist to prepare your home to sell
- The Five Biggest Mistakes a Seller Can Make
- Preparing for a showing
- A Seller’s Guide to Preparing for the Home Inspection
- How to Prepare Your House For Sale
- Quickly Find Out What that House Down the Street Sold For, By Email, for Free
- 55+ Sellers
- Downsizing Free Checklist
- about Lynn
- Nanaimo Neighbourhoods
- How's the Market
- contact me
How to Prepare Your House For Sale
If you follow the instructions below you will turn your house into a highly marketable home.
1. Don't look backwards - it is time to disassociate yourself from your home. Remember the goal is to sell the house. It is no longer your home it is a property to be sold.
2. De-Personalize - Pack up your personal photographs. Buyers want to think "I can see myself living here."
3. De-Clutter! – Good rule of thumb is “if you haven’t used it in the last year either pack it up or give it away. You want to pack up knick knacks, clean off counters etc. The benefit of this exercise is that you are getting a head start on your packing for your move.
4. Rearrange Bedroom Closets and Kitchen Cabinets - People will open closet and cabinet doors. Try to organize items with this in mind.
5. Rent a Storage Unit – Less is best. Leave just enough furniture in each room to showcase the room's purpose and plenty of room to move around.
6. Remove/Replace Favorite Items - Ifyou plan to take favorite items with you now is the time to put them away in case a buyer sees them and covets them. For example special light fixtures etc.
7. Make Minor Repairs – Replace any cracked tiles, patch any holes or dents in the wall, consider re-painting if your walls are not a popular colour, replace burnt out light bulbs etc.
8. Make the House Sparkle! - Clean windows, clear cobwebs, recaulk in the bathroom, polish mirrors and chrome, clean out fridge, dust and vacuum daily if needed, hang fresh towels and air out any odours etc.
9. Scrutinize - Pretend you are a prospective buyer and stand at the front door. Ask yourself if the house feels and looks warm and welcoming. Repeat this procedure at the doorway of each room. Rearrange furniture if need be.
For information on improving your homes curb appeal read: The importance of Curb Appeal when trying to sell your house